A handbag is an essential companion for every woman. On a general note, women love to invest in many accessories and a handbag happens to be one of them. It is one of the favourite accessories and the most fashionable items labelled under many labels.
It is also not uncommon for women to invest in multiple handbags for different occasions or ones in different colours to match with what they are wearing.
A leather handbag or purse is a big investment hence it is a good practice to make the effort to maintain it. Keeping it clean is a major part of maintaining it. This article provides a big insight into how to clean leather.
Tips on how to clean a leather bag
It often happens that there is a tough stain on your bag that you cannot remove; it is also not uncommon for them to get dirty or dusty.
Dirt and dust can be easily removed by shaking it upside down. Here are several tips on how one can clean their handbag or purse:
- Use nail polish remover or rub alcohol over the stain to remove it. Be careful not to rub too much since this can cause the ink to spread. Rubbing it with a clean damp cloth and drying it with a towel is the best solution in this case.
- Those wondering how to remove a stain from leather should know that baking soda and cornstarch are ideal for this purpose. Cleaning the stain with the help of a damp cloth and leaving it overnight will help absorb the oil. This can be later wiped using a soft cloth to clear the stain.
- Use lemon juice and cream of tartar to form a paste and apply this to the stain. Allow this to sit for 30 minutes or so using a damp cloth. This will have a mild bleaching effect hence it is only advisable to use for light-coloured leather.
- Although this is effective, it is best to use a leather conditioner to ensure it does not dry or crack. There are two options for this, either use a commercial leather conditioner or make your own. For those who wish to make their own, it is possible to do so using 1 part vinegar and 2 parts linseed oil.
- Handbags are made from many types of material. However, women tend to prefer leather ones. It is important to note that there are many different types of leather handbags and the method of caring for them also differs.
- It is important to detect the type of leather first. For example, those with a smooth surface and naturally grainy should ideally be cleaned with a professional leather cleanser. It is also advisable to use cream.
- If your purse is made from embossed leather-like saffiano which is grained leather one should use professional leather cleaner. Use a special cleaning brush and also use the solution in the grooves of the leather to ensure it is clean.
Women love to buy soft leather handbags, but it isn’t uncommon for one to spill something, resulting in stubborn stains. Investing in expensive and designer handbags is a must for most women; as the good quality leather will last long.
A minor smudge of lipstick or spilling makeup can ruin your day. Hence, this article is a good guide to those who love to keep their purses clean.