Applying baking soda and other natural ingredients can help neutralize bad mattress odours caused by moisture and bacteria.
To kill bad smells from the mattress, it is not necessary to use deodorants or expensive products. Although there are several solutions available on the market, it is preferable to opt for cleaning methods based on natural ingredients.
These alternatives are very economical and do not harm the environment. We are talking about real concentrates of antifungal and disinfectant ingredients that help eliminate mites, fungi and microorganisms that cause bad odours.
Applying these products regularly helps to keep the surface flawless and free from allergens. Among other things, it lightens unsightly spots due to sweat and dead cells.
Common Remedies to kill bad Smells from the Mattress
Baking soda is one of the most effective ecological ingredients to eliminate bad smells from the mattress. Its deodorant properties neutralize the unpleasant odour that is dispersed in the air due to mould and body fluids released during rest.
The bicarbonate acts, moreover, as a natural detergent, facilitating the elimination of sudden stains or liquids. Protects the mattress surface, extending its useful life. In this specific case, we can optimize its properties by adding hydrogen peroxide for deeper cleaning.
- 1/4 cup of baking soda (50 g)
- 1 cup of 3% volume hydrogen peroxide (250 ml)
- 2 drops of liquid soap
- Put the baking soda in a bucket and add hydrogen peroxide.
- Mix well and continue while adding drops of liquid soap.
- Once you have obtained a homogeneous product, keep it in a bottle with a dispenser.
How to use
- Shake the product before using it and spray it on the mattress.
- Leave it on for several hours, until it is completely dry. If possible, put it in a cool, dry place.
- When the product has been absorbed, scrub the entire surface with a brush to remove the bicarbonate residues.
- Repeat the application at least once a month.
White vinegar does not have a very pleasant smell; however, it is one of the best natural remedies for neutralizing bad mattress smells. At the same time, it is a solution against allergies, as it eliminates mites and bacteria that increase on the surface.
However, when applying it must be used in moderate quantities, as the idea is not to wet the mattress. To enhance the aroma of this product, we can mix it with essential oils, such as lavender or citrus.
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar (125 ml)
- 1 cup of hot water (250 ml)
- 10 drops of essential oil (to taste)
- Dilute the white vinegar in a cup of hot water.
- Add the essential oils and pour everything into a spray bottle.
How to use
- Spray the product on the surface of the mattress and let it dry outdoors.
- Apply it whenever you perceive an unpleasant odour.
Baking Soda and Lavender Essence
Lavender essential oil is a natural air freshener that can cover up unwanted odours. Mixed with baking soda, it can be useful tip for mattress cleaning for eliminating bad smells due to humidity that accumulates on the mattress. Furthermore, this preparation eliminates mites.
- 1 cup of baking soda (200 g)
- 20 drops of lavender oil
- Put some baking soda in a deep container.
- Immediately add the lavender essence and mix well.
- If the dough is wet, let it dry for a few minutes.
How to use
- Spread the product over the entire surface of the mattress.
- Let it act for 10 minutes, then scrub with the help of a brush.
- Remove the bicarbonate residues, preferably with a vacuum cleaner.
- Apply once a month.
One Last Piece of Advice
Change the sheets and the mattress cover and let the mattress breathe at least a couple of hours before making the bed. Even if you have a habit of cleaning your house early in the morning, the best thing to do is to air it at a time that allows the humidity to dry without excessive heat causing germs to increase.
Do you feel a bad smell coming from your bed? Have you never disinfected the mattress? Then it’s time to do it! Use these remedies to eliminate bad smells from the mattress. As you may have noticed, they are easy to make and contain no harmful chemicals.